Kristin Boyle wants to volunteer 2020-01-05 13:20:52 +0800
Sign the #Notimeforgames pledge
Join thousands of health professionals calling on Health Minister Greg Hunt to act now on the climate health emergency for the sake of our children, those most vulnerable to the impacts of the climate crisis.
- We will deliver your pledge to protect children from climate change to Health Minister Hunt on 16 September, Parliament House, Canberra.
- Everyone is welcome to attend!
- The pledge has been signed by over 2000 medical practitioners and endorsed by Australia’s major health colleges and groups, which together represent many tens of thousands of health professionals.
- The AMA recently joined the American Medical Association, the British Medical Association, and Doctors for the Environment Australia, among others, in declaring climate change a health emergency.
Health professionals are dealing more and more with the harmful effects of the climate crisis in our emergency departments, GP rooms and clinics.
Global heating, which is driving more frequent and extreme weather such as drought, floods, bushfires and heatwaves, harms children disproportionately.
Children are at greater risk of respiratory illness, increases in childhood emergency department visits for asthma, fever, gastroenteritis and heat stroke, as well as the physical and psychological trauma from extreme weather events.
Health professionals cannot be silent about the threats of climate change on vulnerable children.
If we speak out as one voice, much as we have in the past when public health has been threatened, we can keep children safe from climate change- the greatest threat to health, humanity has ever faced.
Stand with the health community as we call on Greg Hunt to lead on urgent and sensible policies to address the climate emergency.
I pledge to support:
- An urgent, proactive and effective whole of government approach to climate mitigation.
- Strengthening our primary, emergency, rural and mental health services to increasingly be able to respond to children affected by climate change (e.g. during heatwaves and extreme weather events).
- Greening our health care systems, in which health professionals are well placed to be a driving force to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and waste.
- Considering divestment as an effective tool for diverting funds away from fossil fuel-related activities.
#NoTimeForGames is an initiative of Doctors for the Environment Australia
We respect your privacy. Your email will only be used for important #notimeforgames campaign updates.